Emirates ID is an identity card of the UAE’s citizen. Emirates ID is an identity card issued by Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship. It is a legal necessity for all UAE citizens and residents to use for one and carry it with them the least bit times. The Emirates ID is used:
• to get government services
• to vote in the elections of Federal National Council
• as a travel document for UAE citizens to travel within the GCC
• as a document to pass immigration through the eGates and smart gates at several airports with in the UAE.
If you study Emirates ID card, one of the first thing you will notice is the ID number assign to you.It will remain same even if you leave the UAE and return after a few years. Regardless of how often you renew your Emirates ID, once this ID number is assigned to you, it will remain same. It includes 15 digits. Card consists of personal data of the holder. This data can be read by a special machines only which are built for this purpose and authenticate the user’s testimonials . Some of these data are encrypted and only readable/writable/updatable by the authorized authorities in order to maintain the privacy of the data. This chip may store up to 32,000 letters of data.
Renewal of Emirates ID Card
UAE residents can apply for an Emirates ID renewal whenever a residence visa is renewed or reissued. You should receive an SMS from ICA reminding you to apply for your new card. This will contain details of how to renew – either in person at an accredited typing centre or via the ICA website.. The Emirates ID renewal process is a very simple process. During the process of Visa renewal the emirates ID renewal is the second step right after your medical fitness test.
1 ) Fill the Emirates renewal form which you can easily get from registered typing centres across UAE or at ICA offices.
2) For renewal you need to submit documents like original, copy , or details of the expired ID card, original passport with residence visa.
3) A passport size photograph(4.5 cm X 3.5 cm) with a white back ground for those who are under 15 years of age, elderly people, people whose health condition does not allow them to visit service center.
4) Original birth certificate for those under 15 years of age and passport or Emirates ID card of one of the parents.
5) you need to make a payment for renewal after you have filled the form and submit the necessary documents.
6) Fee to be submitted is Dh 270 for two years and Dh370 for three years.
7) The time limit to renew an expired ID card is 30 days from the date of expiry after that fine will be applicable of Dh20 per day with a maximum of Dh1,000.
8) The Emirates ID is one of the most important identification documents for UAE citizens and residents and is used by government departments and many private companies.
It is against the law to seize the Emirates ID card of anybody as per the ICA. No employer can hold their employees or their customers Emirates ID card it is against the law.They can only withdraw their personal data on the ID card.In case of violation cardholders should go to the judicial authorities.